March 27th 2018

Today it took me 2.5 hours to get to work. Because I didn’t get home from Germany until midnight last night, I went into work at about midday today. I thought that would mean that I’d fly through the commute in about a half an hour, but it ended up taking five times as long.

Turns out there was a big crash on the dual carriageway, and they had to close the road to clear it up. Unfortunately, I was already on the road when they closed it, so I ended up stuck in standstill traffic for an hour until they started letting people exit the dual carriageway through a farm-track road.

(By the way, I know that it’s a bit crass to be complaining about my car journey when someone else’s journey on that road ended in a crash. I checked, and nobody died, so it’s not too bad. Still, though, I understand that he definitely had a worse time than I did)

Because that dual carriageway is basically the only road connecting my house and where I work, I had no idea where I was going when the police ushered us off onto a farm-track B road. And my car’s sat nav only had slightly more of an idea. We were literally in the middle of nowhere, driving through fields, so it didn’t really have a clue either bless it.

Fortunately/unfortunately, nor did any of the other cars around me. And neither did the lorry drivers who ended up in on roads far too narrow and windy* for them to traverse.

*(read that as wine-dee, not win-dee)

So I ended up stranded behind a stranded lorry for a while, until finally, two and a half hours after I left my house, I got to work.

Until tomorrow, two and a half hours to travel 19 miles.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s